Sunday 24 June 2012

Vienna: Gulasch über alles!

I love German, it's the language of the greatest philosophers, it's the language of the Sturm und Drang, it's the language of Heiner Müller, Christa Wolf and Hans Henny Jahnn... I simply love German! Thant's why I decided to spend three weeks in Vienna. I needed to practice it: living in Paris makes me impossible to speak it! And everyone knows that if you don't speak a language you forget how to synchronize your brain with your mouth and make a couple of sentences that sound better than : "Grrrawwwlnbbbbn"... That's at least what sounded the first word I pronounced once in Vienna!

Everyone says that in Austria the food  sucks. It's not true at all! True is that Austrians eat a lot of meat, potatoes and knödels, but first of all that's not the only thing they eat. And second of all, even if that was the case, those three things really taste good! There are two Austrian dishes that I REALLY love: Gulasch and Gulaschsuppe. I can have Gulasch at every time, even for breakfast! Same thing for the Gulaschsuppe. True is that now it's pretty hot in Vienna (28°C more or less) and you'd rather have some fresh salad and fruit... but I couldn't spend more than a couple of days in Austria without having my favorite foods!

I went to Rosenberger, knowing that they make a very good Gulasch to which you can add any side you want (for example I had Knödels and rice this time because I was starved, but you could also have something lighter like carrots or sting beans). What's also very good of Rosenberger is that it's located in the heart of Vienna (Innere Stadt), near the Hotel Sacher, the Opera House and the Albertina Museum; it's open from 11am till 22am; it's a self service so you can fill your plates as much as you want (only once though, it's not an all you can eat buffet!) and the main dishes are pretty cheap (12-13€ for a main course with a side. But be careful with the drinks, they are pretty expensive!).

Gulasch with Rice and Knödels

The Gulaschsuppe wasn't as good as the Gulasch: not enough meat and kind of tasteless (that's why I added a Semolina Dumpling to it, as you can see in the picture).

Gulaschsuppe with one Semolina Dumpling

If you want to taste it you'd better go somewhere else then, and if you really want a soup when at Rosenberger's then I suggest the Clear Broth with Semolina Dumplings which is light but good.

No comments:

Post a Comment