Tuesday 24 April 2012

Pitter Keller's Beer and Lamb


“7pm, time for a drink!” … I’m Italian and I love to have an aperitivo before dinner. True is that I don’t drink alcohol very often, my drink is just DietCoke with ice and lemon… but still, I like sitting in a nice bar at around 7pm to sip my soda, chat, observe the other costumers…
During my stay in Salzburg my boyfriend and I discovered a nice Gasthof–Bierhaus near the Mirabell Gardens: Pitter Keller.




Opened in 1911, this underground Bierhaus (=beer cellar) is decorated with traditional Austrian furniture that makes the atmosphere warm and casual. I love the big and heavy dark brown wood tables or the checked napkins!
The first time we came here we were dead tired so we stopped only for a drink a to rest our poor legs before walking to the hotel. But since the waiter left the menu on the table we had the opportunity to take a look at it… and decide that before leaving Salzburg we had to come back to Pitter Keller for dinner! The night before leaving we came back and we stuffed ourselves! Yes, stuffed! Because at Pitter Keller the servings are HUGE! From the snacks to the main courses and from the soups to the desserts, everything here is kind of “supersized”! I don’t mind it if the food is good, and here it is: the Brezel with Obazda (=Bavarian cheese mixture that tastes like Camemebert seasoned with paprika) was REALLY GOOD! I love creamy cheese, it’s taste of butter, its soft texture… and it goes very well with the “rough” taste of the Brezel! Thank God that we ordered only one serving: there was enough cheese in one serving to feed 4 people!
Since it was “Lamb Week”, both my boyfriend and I had Lamb as main course. He chose the Braised Leg of Lamb with Vegies and Rösti. The meat was so tender and well cooked that melted in mouth! Juicy and tasty, a joy ride for the taste buds! The vegies were al dente and the rösti crispy outside and soft inside but nothing special.

Braised Leg of Lamb with Vegies and Rösti
I chose the Grilled Back of Lamb with Vegies and Croquettes. The meat was very tender and juicy too but not as tasty as the one of the leg. More, the subtle taste of the grilled meat would have gone well with some grilled vegetables or some salad… unfortunately my vegies were the same as the one for the braised leg: cooked into the sauce of the braised leg!!! Well… I’ll remember to ask for a salad next time…


Grilled Back of Lamb with Vegies and Croquettes
Even if I was quite full after the main course I wanted to order a dessert. It was my last evening in Salzburg and during my stay I didn’t get the chance to eat a piece of Topfenstrudel… so when I read Topfenstrudel with Vanilla Icecream on the menu I had to order it! It was PERFECT: the dough was thin like a veil, the stuffing warm, soft, not too sweet and airy… heaven!

Topfenstrudel with Vanilla Icecream




PITTER KELLER
Auerspergstresse 23
520 Salzburg
Austria






No comments:

Post a Comment